History of First United Methodist Church of Prestonsburg


History of First United Methodist Church of Prestonsburg


Item 1: Stained Glass Windows - When the contracts were let for First Methodist of Prestonsburg (then the Methodist Episcopal Church, South) the pewage and windows were exempted from the contracts. The Church's building committee contracted with a Cincinnati firm to equip the church's original sanctuary with stained-glass windows of extraordinary beauty. To pay for the windows, memorials were given by the members of certain individuals and windows were dedicated to their memory. Over a several year period, Floyd D. Davis tried to research the histories of the members to whom each window was dedicated. Gary Williams provided the photographic talent needed to capture the windows in their best lights.

The building of the sanctuary began in May 1916. Due to war and pandemics, it was not completed until April 1919.

Item 2: In 2008, to commemorate the church's 125th anniversary, this history of the church was compiled by Floyd D. Davis.

Item 3-4: Monographs written by Floyd D. Davis in April 2010 concerning the history of the church.


Submitted by Floyd D. Davis/First United Methodist Church of Prestonsburg Archives


First United Methodist Church Stained Glass Windows



“History of First United Methodist Church of Prestonsburg,” Floyd County History Collection, accessed June 3, 2023, http://history.fclib.org/items/show/45.